London (any) To Edinburgh
Train Journey Information
- Train fares from£20.00
- Fastest route4h 19m
- Average journey time5h 24m
- Trains per dayAround 82
- Changes3 Changes
- Train operatorsAvanti West Coast, CrossCountry, Caledonian Sleeper, Thameslink
London (any) To Edinburgh
- 09:00London Kings Cross15:11Edinburgh (Waverley)6h 11m, Direct
- 09:46London Euston15:39Edinburgh (Waverley)5h 53m, 1 Change
- 10:00London Kings Cross16:15Edinburgh (Waverley)6h 15m, Direct
- 10:46London Euston16:20Edinburgh (Waverley)5h 34m, 1 Change
- 11:00London Kings Cross17:25Edinburgh (Waverley)6h 25m, Direct
- How long does it take to travel from London (any) to Edinburgh by train?Average journey time5h 24mIt takes around 5 hours 24 minutes by train from London (any) to Edinburgh. Bear in mind that the journey time may be a little longer on weekends and holidays.
- How much does the train from London (any) to Edinburgh cost?Train fares from£20.00Train tickets from London (any) to Edinburgh cost as little as £20.00 if you book in advance, and the train fares are often higher when purchased on the day. Ticket prices also vary depending on the time of day, route, and class you book.
- What is the fastest journey from London (any) to Edinburgh by train?Fastest route4h 19mThe fastest train will get you from London (any) to Edinburgh in 4 hours 19 minutes. The slowest service is the late-evening departure which takes nearly 010 minutes travelling at a slower pace throughout the journey.
- What time does the last train from London (any) to Edinburgh leave?Last train21:15The last train from London (any) to Edinburgh departs at 21:15. Don’t miss it!
- When can I catch the first train from London (any) to Edinburgh?First train06:15The first train leaves London (any) at 06:15. Book in advance to save yourself some time in the morning.
- How many trains a day are there from London (any) to Edinburgh?Trains per day82On an average weekday, around 82 trains travel from London (any) to Edinburgh. The first train departs London (any) some time after 06:15 with departures continuing at intervals, until 21:15.
London (any) To Edinburgh Train FAQs
London To Edinburgh Train
Edinburgh is a famous cultural city in Britain and the capital of Scotland. It is located on the east coast of Scotland and built on a rocky cliff. The city of Edinburgh is not big. You can walk the whole city in two or three hours on foot. If you are used to a modern city full of skyscrapers, and then come to Edinburgh, you will find that the contrast is very big. Skyscrapers basically can’t be seen in Edinburgh, here are all some old buildings. The city of Edinburgh is small, with a population of only hundreds of thousands; however, the number of people who visit Edinburgh every year is many times the number of locals. Especially during the festival held in Edinburgh, the streets are full of tourists from all over the world, as many as millions.
London To Edinburgh Train Times Information
The average journey time between London and Edinburgh is 5 hours and 20 minutes. On an average weekday, there are 41 trains travelling from London to Edinburgh. The journey time may be longer on weekends and holidays.
Direct trains from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley are operated by London North Eastern Railway (LNER) and run approximately every half hour, departing on the hour and 30m past. The fastest service takes around 4h 20m to reach Edinburgh. Alternatively, you can take a slower indirect service and change at York, taking around 5h 5m.
London To Edinburgh By First Class Train
Take a First Class train from London to Edinburgh and experience the best in luxury UK train travel. Whether travelling on the West Coastline (Avanti West Coast trains) or East Coastline (LNER), there are some key benefits you can look forward to that are generally similar for each train company.
Bigger, comfier seats with tables allowing you to relax or work on the go
Fast, complimentary WiFi connections
Access to power sockets and USB sockets at every seat
Access to exclusive First Class lounges at London Euston (Avanti), London Kings Cross (LNER) and Edinburgh (LNER)
Complimentary food and drink, ranging from snacks to two-course meals depending on the service
So, while the price of the ticket may be higher, you can still get great value given back to you through the complimentary food (no packed lunches!), WiFi, and the added degree of comfort. What’s not to like? Don’t forget to book your First Class tickets in advance – you could save money by planning ahead!
When booking your train ticket, reserve a seat on the right-hand side of the train on the way to Edinburgh so you can enjoy the fantastic views available on this line.
If you’re looking for the return train journey, check out trains from Edinburgh to London.
How To Find Cheap Train Tickets From London To Edinburgh
Do you think First Class tickets are always more expensive? Think again. Depending on when you book, First Class tickets can sometimes be cheaper than Standard Class, so keep an eye out to enjoy a luxurious journey from London to Edinburgh for less.
Did you know that most train companies in the UK increase their prices as the departure date approaches? Our aim is to help you save – we’ll help you find the cheapest way to get to Edinburgh from London.
Book in advance
Save up to 61%** when you book in advance. Look out for Advance tickets – they usually come out up to 12 weeks before the departure date.
Consider a Season Ticket
If you catch this train more than 3 times per week, you could save money with a Season Ticket. With annual, monthly, and weekly options available, find out if a season ticket for London to Manchester is right for you.
Use your Railcard
National Railcards offer up to 1/3 off train tickets in the UK and can be a great investment if you travel a few times or more in a year. Find out how you can save with a TrainPal Railcard.
TrainPal can help travellers save up to 95.25% of the original rail fare in the U.K. In addition to the traditional split ticketing features, TrainPal also offers a flexible split ticketing option which gives travellers the best value to help them save even more. First-class split tickets are also available.
Use your TrainPal student discount code at the checkout to enjoy an extra 5% off on train tickets as new users, and an extra £5 off on digital Railcard as existing users. For instant access to this discount simply register and verify your student status with Student Beans. It's free!
TrainPal can save you money by finding you cheap deals on train tickets from London to Edinburgh for your next vacation.
If you are planning to travel by train from London to Edinburgh, find your one-way or round-trip tickets online and book with TrainPal. You can even use TrainPal App to get all travel-related information in one place, making your upcoming journey as smooth as possible.